Creative & Digital Media Apprenticeship – BBC Bristol

After completing her Creative and Digital apprenticeship, Candice became a Broadcast Assistant at Radio Bristol

I left 6th form where I studied Media Studies, English Language, Art and Performing Arts. I had planned to take a gap year until I saw the apprenticeship advertised.

I applied for an apprenticeship because I knew that it would be a great way into the industry. After graduating from 6th form I already made my mind up that I wanted to work in Television. I would learn on the job, leave with a Level 3 qualification in Creative and Digital Media and get paid too! Also apprenticeships are becoming increasingly popular. Businesses like them because it shows you have first-hand experience in the working environment.

My first role as an apprentice was a Production Management Assistant (PMA) in the Documentaries department. At the time there were various productions on the go and I helped to support them. For example I would create schedules, source filming kit and book travel and accommodation to shoots.

Over the year I have developed so many different skills. For example, my communication skills have been improved massively, I am able to speak up in meetings amongst execs, pitch ideas and confidently liaise with a variety of people within the industry.

During my time I’ve moved around to different productions within the BBC such as DIY SOS and Secret Britain. I started to do more independent research work where I’ve had to meet tight deadlines.

One of the highlights was when I travelled around the UK for a documentary called Special Forces- ultimate hell week. I joined the Casting team as a runner and I also helped to interview some of the contributors too. It was a fantastic experience and I was able to work closely with the casting producer.

Another highlight was when I worked on the Features programme Secret Britain as a Researcher/ Runner. I joined the team on a shoot in Devon uncovering some truly beautiful locations.

In trained to use a variety of specialised BBC systems and I am now competent in using Microsoft Excel. I have learnt technical filming jargon and I been trained to use a Canon XF305 (professional HD camera).

Overall this apprenticeship has taught me the importance of networking and creating a good lasting impression. The media industry is often based on who knows who and recommendations. It is also extremely competitive and you have to remain pro-active and soak up as much information and opportunities as possible.

I would definitely recommend an apprenticeship! I have accomplished so much in just one year and it’s really set me up for a career in the media industry.

My mum inspires me- she’s a very hardworking, resilient individual who’s really pushed me to do my very best. In terms of the industry I’d say all of the producer/ directors I’ve worked with throughout the year. I have learnt so much invaluable skills from each and every one of them.

In five years’ time I hope to be producing/ directing Documentaries.