Congratulations to former Cirencester College art student, Hannah Cook

Congratulations to former Cirencester College art student, Hannah Cook from Tetbury whose A-level art work was selected for the front cover of a UK crafts catalogue called Specialist Crafts.

Eighteen year old Hannah successfully created a dramatic monochrome portrait of a close friend by skilfully using white acrylic on black mineral paper. The picture was created for her A-level personal investigation, which explored the theme of Past & Present, focusing on the human form and how it has been depicted throughout time. Chiaroscuro quickly became an area of intrigue and fascination for Hannah during the development stage of her coursework, where she gained artistic inspiration from Rembrandt to more contemporary works by Christian Boltanski.

Hannah left Cirencester College in the summer of 2016, gaining A grades in both her Fine Art and Graphic Communications A-levels, alongside a grade C in History. Hannah is currently taking the Art Foundation course at Stroud College, with a view to go on to university later this year to study Fine Art.

A delighted Hannah said, “I was actually unaware that one of the College’s art technicians had entered my artwork for the competition. So I was completely shocked and surprised to have won. This has been a fantastic opportunity for me to get my art work out there in the public domain.”

The catalogue is mailed out to 40,000 art teachers, technicians and other creative educators all over the UK.

Nick Beavon, Managing Director of Specialist Crafts explained to Hannah, “I see many thousands of images of art work from schools all over the world as part of my job and I can honestly say that your catalogue winning creation is of the very best standard and I hope you continue your studies in art as you progress to university and beyond.”

If you are interested in art courses at Cirencester College, please contact the Student Journey Team on 01285 640994 or student.journeyteam@cirencester.ac.uk.