Ex professional footballer visits Cirencester College

Matt Heywood an ex-professional footballer, who played for Burnley, Swindon and Bristol City recently came to talk to Cirencester College sports students in the Sundial Theatre about his football career and life after football.

Matt covered a range of topics including work experience, sports psychology, football academies, lifestyle and the importance of education and qualifications. Since retiring Matt has set up his own personal training and sports massage business as well as working for the Royal Mail as a postman. He advised students about running their own business, self-motivation techniques and various training regimes from his football career.

The students will now use the information from the talk to support their assignment work. In a Q & A session the students asked range of questions; from salary expectation, daily life as a pro, how to respond to different challenging situations, life after football and the psychological growth mind set.  Matt was open and honest with all his answers including football academy players’ prospects, what it is like to be a professional footballer and help and advice on how to develop their sporting careers.

Student Max Bray said ‘’I really enjoyed the talk and found it beneficial. Matt gave his time to to talk to me afterwards about the  realism of a footballer’s life, aspects that I had never considered before, he also gave me a good insight into the PT industry which is useful for me for my future career pathways. He took interest in my football and shared his own thoughts, which I found quite inspirational.  I really appreciated Matt’s honesty, he wasn’t defensive and didn’t shy away from giving truthful answers, he was a genuine professional.

Sports lecturer Kian Enderby, a Swindon fan himself said ‘’Matt was one the most genuine, honest and professional ex-athlete I have had the pleasure of meeting. He was an inspiration to the students,  Matt can give a realistic measure of employability skills and deliver constructive advice to support sporting ambition. I would like to thank him for spending time with the students.”

For more information about sports courses at Cirencester Sixth Form College contact student.journeyteam@cirencester.ac.uk.