Confident return for leadership student Tori

Cirencester Rotary Club‘s members welcomed back 18 year-old Cirencester College student Tori Baddeley who the Club had supported to undertake the Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) scheme. This course took place over a period of six days in the Forest of Dean and her challenges while there included canoeing, climbing, team-building and giving presentations.

RYLA is designed by Rotary to improve young people’s communication and leaderships skills, impart knowledge of business and institutions, explore career paths, share ideas and experiences and to help participants to learn how to co-ordinate youth activities and other projects in the community. Around 40 students attend the Summer scheme each year, drawn from all over the South West district.

Tori gave an illustrated presentation to Rotarians explaining her reasons for attending the course and outlining her impressive achievements whilst there. She explained, “I wanted to improve my self-confidence, my team leadership and public speaking skills. The course was intensive and challenging but I achieved all my targets. We fitted so much into the time available – also raising over £330 for a local charity in one of the challenges – and I have made a number of life-long friends in the process. This is an excellent course and I would thoroughly recommend other young people to apply to attend.”

Former College Vice Principal Libby Reed stated, “We are delighted that Tori took up this challenge and very impressed by her achievements.”

Chair of Rotary’s Youth Committee, Mark Wilton added, “Our club is proud to support local young people through a range of projects and initiatives, of which RYLA is just one. We also encourage young chefs, musicians, technology students and those wishing to improve interview skills and public speaking. Tori’s well-structured, interesting and confident presentation to the Club provided clear evidence of the value of such encouragement and support.”

Find out more about the youth opportunities offered by the Cirencester Rotary Club and their wide range of meetings and events at www.cirencester-rotary.org.uk