College holds Science Taster for year 10s

The College welcomed Kingshill School year 10s this month to an A-level Science Taster Day.

50 triple science pupils from the school took part in practical experiments in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Elisabetta Angioni was one of many STEM Ambassadors who helped on the experiments, which examined velocity, enzymes and fuel combustion.

“The fact that I’m helping people learn new skills feels amazing,” says Elisabetta. “I’ve never done something like this before, so it was a good opportunity for me to check my own knowledge too!”

Elisabetta, who studies A-Level Chemistry and Biology, worked one-to-one with pupil Louis on his alcohol combustion experiment:

“Louis is interested in Chemistry like me and he’s doing really well. The first time I did this experiment I was really nervous, but working with Louis it’s nice to pass on what I’ve learned since then.”

The College’s Ambassador Programme encourages students to volunteer in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) to gain practical experience.

“These opportunities are great for our students, as they revise the practical techniques they need while developing their self-confidence and communication skills,” says Lecturer Judith Cave.

“Both are invaluable tools especially as they look to writing their personal statements for University this term,” she adds.

Sharron Pearson, Head of Science at Kingshill: “The main focus of today was to get the pupils to think beyond school with us at 16, to look into what happens at A-level Sciences and not be afraid of getting involved.”

“One of the highlights for me was having the STEM Ambassadors here to help. Not only can they talk to the pupils about the experiments they’re doing, but they can also share their unique A-level experience.”

“I think seeing the College’s labs and facilities really opens their eyes to what we can do in school and what they can go on to do in future.”

You can find out about Cirencester College’s A-levels in Science and STEM programmes at their Open Evening on Thursday 27th June, 5-8pm or visit www.cirencester.ac.uk

If you’d like more information on this story, please contact Izaac.cole@cirencester.ac.uk