The College Celebrates Vocational Graduates’ Success

The College has celebrated another successful year of Vocational Graduates, with many students receiving distinction and distinction stars.

Vice Principal, Karen Fraser, welcomed over 90 graduates alongside their tutors, friends, parents and grandparents to the ceremony.

Former College student, Bella Lloyd, was the ‘Guest of Honour.’ Now a successful Producer and Director in the television industry; Bella studied BTEC Performing Arts at the College, gaining a triple distinction before graduating from Chichester with a 2.1 BA Hons degree in Performing Arts.

Speaking about her time at the College, Bella praised the unique opportunities afforded to students through vocational programmes.

“Having vocational and apprenticeship graduates like yourself means our society is going to be in receipt of thousands of young individuals who don’t just have the ability to pass exams, but to think creatively,” said Bella.

Since leaving the College, Bella has worked on programmes such as The Apprentice, The Great British Menu, Comic Relief and Great British Railway Journeys.

“I had no idea that I had the capability to go on to have a career in television and climb the ranks to become a Producer Director,” explained Bella.

Bella chose to share with the audience her ‘5 Golden Nuggets’ to success:

• Acknowledge the fact you have no idea what you’re doing was the first, with Bella explaining how she nearly worked in London Dungeon. “Some of your parents and teachers might still not know what they want to do with their life. Honestly, ask them!” joked Bella.
  • Say yes to every opportunity that comes your way. Bella: “I wanted to make history programmes and now I can. I’m pleased I’ve worked across a number of genres because I’ve learnt more!”
  • Embrace imposter syndrome: “If you have imposter syndrome treat it as your friend. If you’re anxious that’s good because it means you care and want to do well,” explained Bella.
  • Don’t be afraid of failure, mentioning how her height had got her in trouble while filming. “Today I never film anything without a stool,” said Bella – showing the audience it was always close to hand.
  • Her final nugget: “Life isn’t just about having a career; it’s about opening your eyes and taking in all that life offers.”

Bella’s words ring true, no more so than for student Tom Jenkins, who was awarded a triple distinction star in Media. Tom is due to begin his job as a runner for Post Production Company ‘Dog House’ in Bristol this summer.

“It was amazing to be able to have a chat with Bella, as she started as a runner herself. Seeing her today has only reassured me that I made the right decision,” said Tom.

Other students have been equally successful, having secured places at university, gained full time work, or College apprenticeships.

There is still time to apply to vocational courses at Cirencester College for September, for more information visit www.cirencester.ac.uk. For more information on this story, please contact Izaac.cole@cirencester.ac.uk