College Artists’ displayed at Alexandra Palace in London

Three Cirencester College artists have recently featured in the National Arts Exhibition 2019, held at the prestigious Alexandra Palace in London.

The three-day event was organised by the Sixth Form Colleges Association (SFCA) to advance the arts and showcase excellence in education.

The students, Saffron Leonard, Lia Morse, and Rupli Moores-Mason, all attended the exhibition’s VIP opening ceremony in June.

Inspired by this year’s theme, ‘Cloud Land,’ the students’ artwork reflected the pioneering aeronauts of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Saffron, who is in her first year studying Level 3 Art and Design, said she was overwhelmed: “It was a huge surprise!” said Saffron. “I only found out I was going to Alexandra Palace on the day my artwork had been accepted into the exhibition.”

A record 38 sixth forms and colleges were involved in the event, which celebrated the launch of the Palace’s East Court and Theatre. It was here that the students’ artwork was displayed for all to see.

Preparing for the exhibition presented a unique challenge for Lia, whose work was created through etching. “I had trouble with the equipment in the final steps, but the College technicians were there to help me work through it,” explained Lia.

Lia studies a diverse A-level programme, which includes Fine Art, Graphic Communication, English Literature, and English Language. “It’s just such an amazing opportunity to say I’ve had my work exhibited in London as a first year student,” added Lia.

For Rupli though, the event had added meaning. “For me it’s nice to end my time at the College on a high,” she said. Graduating this year, Rupli has completed A-levels in Fine Art, Biology, and Geography. She now plans to continue her studies at Exeter University.

A big thank you to both Haringey Council and Haringey Sixth Form College for making the exhibition possible.

You can learn more about the College’s A-level Fine Art and Level 3 Art and Design courses here. For more on this story, please contact Izaac.cole@cirencester.ac.uk