Business student secures work experience with prestigious hotel with a royal connection

After applying to over thirty local hotels, Business Studies student William Thorne has secured a work experience placement in a prestigious London hotel, the only one ever to have been awarded the Royal Warrant.

All first year students are encouraged to carry out a work experience placement relevant to the career they aspire to go into. Though supported by staff at the College, it is important that students reach out and make these industry links themselves. William is a prime example of where perseverance and determination can get you!

“I was interested in working in a hotel because I’ve always had an interest in travel and tourism, so I thought this was the best route for me to get into the industry. I wrote to about thirty hotels in Swindon and Oxford, and I didn’t get any replies before Christmas. I was a bit upset because I only had four weeks to find a work experience placement.” After struggling to find a placement in the local area, William decided to try further afield, applying to fifteen hotels in Cardiff and fifteen in London – and almost all replied straight away.

William accepted a placement at The Goring Hotel in London, which describes itself as an “Impeccably English Hotel” and is one of the top hotels in the country and the only one to receive the Royal Warrant. The warrant is “granted as a mark of recognition to people or companies who have regularly supplied goods or services to HM The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh or HRH The Prince of Wales or their Households.” It is well-known as being the hotel that Kate Middleton spent her final night in before becoming the Duchess of Cambridge on her wedding day!

The hotel are providing William with accommodation whilst he completes his placement in a few weeks time. “I’m really looking forward to it. I’m looking forward to exploring a different area, but I’m a little bit nervous because I won’t know anyone there and I’m staying by myself for the first time.” In May, Will is also completing a placement at another top-class hotel, the Four Seasons on Park Lane.

After College, William hopes he go into a career in hospitality, travel and tourism, so this is a great starting step for him – well done Will!

To find out more about the opportunities available to students, come along to our Open Evening on Thursday 6th February, 5-8pm. If you’re interested in our Business courses, click here.