A-level Biology student shortlisted in University Essay Competition

One of our first year A-level Biology students has been shortlisted in the top 10 of the University of Gloucestershire’s Biosciences Essay Competition. 

Phoebe Briggs-Mould submitted an essay back in December after hearing about the competition via an email from Biology lecturer Dave Bell. The essay had a word limit of 800 words and had to illustrate ‘How Biology Can Change the World’. Phoebe chose to write her essay about nanotechnology and its uses to solve antibiotic resistance, a subject she had briefly covered in secondary school but was keen to investigate further independently.

The competition was judged by a panel of five judges, including Adam Rutherford (from Radio 4’s Inside Science) and Viv Parry OBE (Tomorrow’s World) and Phoebe’s essay was shortlisted to the Top Ten. This month, Phoebe received the good news. “I was a bit surprised to receive the award as I just submitted my essay not expecting anything to come of it. I’m really happy with the result. I’m interested in studying microbiology or medicine at university so the subject of the essay was really relevant and interesting to me.”

To find out more about our Biology A-level, click here.