Mentor wins National Career Ready Award after being nominated by Cirencester College student

Vicky Henderson of Ascend Performance Coaching has been selected as the 2020 Mentor of the Year for Wales and the North of England after her work with one of Cirencester College’s Career Ready students.

Career Ready is a national employability programme, supported by employers, which focuses on raising career awareness and enabling students to reach their aspirations.

Student Bindiya Hadani was originally paired with mentor Vicky based on her career aspirations. The students then had monthly meetings with their mentors and were supported in various ways to enhance their employability skills. This could be in the way of helping them with their CV’s, interview skills, networking and communication.

Bindiya nominated Vicky for her support throughout the process. “I chose her as my mentor as she is a specialist in personal development and has a wealth of experience in developing emotional intelligence and your mindset – areas that I was interested in and knew I needed to develop.

She has given me a box of tools that will help me carve my way through life’s ups and downs and it is wonderful to know that we are going to keep in touch as I move on from college. Vicky has certainly, in my opinion, gone above and beyond the requirements of the mentor role and the impact she has had on my life and my future has been immense.”

Vicky said: “Last year I had the absolute privilege of mentoring Bindiya, an open-minded and driven young lady. We worked together through the good months and the tough ones, she grew in confidence and worked hard to develop herself on a personal and academic level.

When I received an email in January saying Bindiya had nominated me for Mentor of the Year I was incredibly touched. When I found out I have won I was rather emotional, humbled and proud.”

If you are interested in becoming a business mentor to one of our students please contact nicola.gregson@cirencester.ac.uk for further details.